I suggest you ...

pause

I want a pause button so I can do something horribly big (like upgrade a library or merge a branch) without LiveReload going crazy.

23 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    NathanNathan shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Andrey TarantsovAdminAndrey Tarantsov (Founder, LiveReload) responded  · 

We are still trying to understand if we need a Pause button or if there’s a bug that we can fix (or some other way to optimize this). Could you please describe your use cases in detail?

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kevin KirchnerKevin Kirchner commented  · 

+3 for pause.

@Andrey - Here's what happens to me:

I watch some .less files in my project. So I'm working along in my feature branch and need to pull and merge in some changes from another branch. So when I switch branches, LiveReload sees the changes and might change a file or two.

I try to switch back to my feature branch and there are changes thanks to LiveReload.

So my current solution is to quit and restart livereload every time I switch a branch. It's not the end of the world, but the overall UX of your sweet product is dropping every time I have to do this : /

• Rich BradshawRich Bradshaw commented  · 

I guess this is related to the other issue about having a button rather than doing it automatically. My issue generally comes when I update something big like Bootstrap – LiveReload goes crazy with errors as the files change (errors because the less files reference things that don't exist yet). That means I always have to remember to quit it before doing that.

The other issue I have is that I have 2 computers syncing via Dropbox. If I run livereload on both at the same time then I get lots of 'Conflicted Copies' in dropbox. Rather than quitting LR on one computer it would be nice to be able to pause it – mainly because I then forget to open it again!

Another reason (now I think about it there are a few!) is if I'm writing code for a bit of PHP called via AJAX. If I leave LR on, then the PHP change triggers a whole page refresh, so I need to go through and do everything on my webpage again - it would be nice to just Pause LR whilst I'm working on that code.

With all these, I could just quit it, but I'd rather click the menu icon or something to stop it for a moment.

Feedback and Knowledge Base