I suggest you ...

Use system compiler instead of built-in compiler

I keep running into problems with LiveReload unable to load/compile some compass plugins.

You should give an option for users to use their own compilers and various plugins they might have on their system to avoid these sort of problem.

75 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    rizkysyazulirizkysyazuli shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ZurielZuriel commented  · 

Also would like to use custom gems. I install breakpoint and live reload doesn't support it. I use live reload for browser refreshing and codekit for sass compiling (because codekit lets me use the system ruby)

• echoecho commented  · 

As instructions at: http://feedback.livereload.com/knowledgebase/articles/86281-using-custom-compiler-versions
        I've been able to replace sass + compass with updated copies of what I have locally (keeping the app's "sass" + "compass" folders without numbers after the names) and that works but I can't get it to work by deleting the gems under SASS.lrplugin/lib/ - LiveReload gives an error that it is looking for compass in the application's location.

• Ben FrainBen Frain commented  · 

Yes, I'd also suggest a fallback mechanism. For example, I'm still using an older version of Susy. To use this I need to use LR 2.3.6 (latest release of LiveReload includes new version of Susy). However, if I then try and build something with Foundation 3, despite having installed the foundation gem on my system, LR won't compile (as Foundation 3 didn't come with 2.3.6 of LiveReload).

Is there any way to say 'if in LiveReload use this version (unless specifically changed as original poster suggested), otherwise look to the gem environment paths?

Feedback and Knowledge Base